Did I buy the wrong Shamisen?

So i've been wanting to get a shamisen for a while now. I bought Kyle's book and started making my own, but unfortunately my busy life has kept me from working on it. Recently, I purchased a Shamisen on ebay that had a torn skin; I figured it would be easier to just fix a broken one than making one from scratch. Well it arrived today and the first thing I notice was how thin the sao was. It is only 2.3 cm wide, whereas in Kyle's book it says the sao should be 3.5cm. So, did I buy a children's shamisen?

Cancel
Hiding 7 posts. Click to show.

Thank you everyone for the information, it really helps! So it seems I just bought a different type of shamisen. The neck seems so thin that I am concerned it will be especially difficult to play.

As for the broken skin, I plan on trying to replace that myself following the instructions in Kyle's book. Although at this point, I think I am just going to save up and buy the beginner's shamisen.

Cancel

Well, you certainly could buy that one! Worse case scenario, you'd have a second instrument.

But remember that the beginner's shamisen is also a nagauta. It's a modern model, so the neck should be a bit wider but still a hosozao.

Cancel

my training instrument is actually a kojami chintone (kind of a small shamisen - just like ukulele vs. guitar). the neck is quite thin here, too. with the small distance between the strings i can't play part three of the sakura lesson here at bachido … or am i just too clumsy?

Cancel

“As an aside, the seller description is so much fluff and nonsense. That shamisen would never sell for 200,000 yen in Japan.”

hahaha, did it say that?

Cancel

haha yes it did; I didnt believe it anyway, I figured it was just part of the sales pitch

Cancel
to write a reply.