Did I buy the wrong Shamisen?

So i've been wanting to get a shamisen for a while now. I bought Kyle's book and started making my own, but unfortunately my busy life has kept me from working on it. Recently, I purchased a Shamisen on ebay that had a torn skin; I figured it would be easier to just fix a broken one than making one from scratch. Well it arrived today and the first thing I notice was how thin the sao was. It is only 2.3 cm wide, whereas in Kyle's book it says the sao should be 3.5cm. So, did I buy a children's shamisen?

Cancel
Hiding 9 posts. Click to show.

my training instrument is actually a kojami chintone (kind of a small shamisen - just like ukulele vs. guitar). the neck is quite thin here, too. with the small distance between the strings i can't play part three of the sakura lesson here at bachido … or am i just too clumsy?

Cancel

“As an aside, the seller description is so much fluff and nonsense. That shamisen would never sell for 200,000 yen in Japan.”

hahaha, did it say that?

Cancel

haha yes it did; I didnt believe it anyway, I figured it was just part of the sales pitch

Cancel

yes I agree, that is a 100% naguta style shamisen. altho older naguta shamisen necks tended to be thinner, vice versa “more comfort to playing traditional music.

Edited 2 times; last edited Mar 7, 2018 by Connor Schneider
Cancel

Oh, jeez, I didn't read the item description the first time I read through this thread. That's some hardcore, old-school eBay speak in that description! I think that's the first time I've seen that sort of item description in something like 15+ years. And now I feel old at 30-something. >.>

Cancel
to write a reply.